Sitges Travel Advisory
Gay Sitges Guide will bring you up to date information on Sitges as and when we receive it regarding the travel situation in Spain.
UPDATE – Oct 21
- The 1 am to 6 am curfew was removed on August 27 after being in place in parts of Catalonia for over a month and the 10-person cap on gatherings was lifted on September 10.
- Face masks are no longer obligatory outdoors as of June 26, as long as safety distances can been kept, although they continue to be mandatory in indoor places open to the public.
Music Bars Reopen
- Bars and restaurants are allowed to serve customers until 1 am indoors and outdoor areas.
- The Catalan government is set to allow the indoor areas of nightclubs to reopen from October 8 — but only to those who have Covid passports demonstrating proof of vaccination, a negative test, or of having had the virus.
Update for UK Visitors
- Fully vaccinated UK residents arriving in England from amber travel list destinations will no longer have to quarantine from 19 July.
- UK visitors, however, still need to pay for Covid tests before and after their return. See below for Covid Test options in Sitges and Barcelona.
Traveling to Catalunya
- 15 airports of the Aena network have COVID-19 diagnostic testing clinics located in the departure area: Adolfo Suárez Madrid-Barajas, Josep Tarradellas Barcelona-El Prat, Málaga-Costa del Sol, Alicante-Elche, Valencia, Seville, Bilbao , Palma de Mallorca, Ibiza, Menorca, Tenerife Sur, Gran Canaria, Fuerteventura, César Manrique-Lanzarote and La Palma. In Adolfo Suarez Madrid-Barajas, Malaga-Costa del Sol and Seville you can book your appointment at https://travelcovidtestcenter.com/es/. In the rest of the airports you can book the appointment at https://eurofins-megalab.com/pruebas-covid-19-en-los-aminos-de-espana/
- If you are coming from abroad, you must fill the Health Control Form (FCS) and show the QR code at the Border Health Control. Get to know more
- From June 7, all passengers in a country or risk zone (except for children under 12 years of age) must provide one of the following supporting documents with the requirements established by the health authority: be vaccinated against COVID -19, recovered from COVID-19 or a diagnostic test (such as PCR or rapid antigen test), performed 48 hours before the trip, which has been negative. At any time, the passenger may be asked to prove these documents. Consult the policy here. Consult the FAQ of Spain Travel Health.
- On 1 July, the EU Digital COVID Certificate came into force. It is a document that allows travel between EU countries with proof that the person has been vaccinated against COVID-19, has recovered from the disease or has a negative test from within the last 48-72 hours as established by the different countries. You can apply for it at the following link.
- Incoming flights from Brazil and South Africa are restricted, except for nationals or residents of our country and Andorra. People whose country of origin of travel to Spain is the Republic of India, must remain in quarantine for 10 days after their arrival in Spain, or for the duration of their stay if it is shorter than that. This period may end earlier, if on the seventh day the person is tested for acute infection with negative results.
Where can I get a COVID test in Sitges?
- Polyclinic Sitges provides a covid test. Antigen Test, with appointment and results within 15min for 40€. You need to book early as slots go very fast at moment. PCR tests take longer and you need to book an early morning appointment.
- Synlab in nearby Castelldefells also offers a covid test.
- Echevarne Clinic in Castelldefels 5 mins from train station. No apt necessary. Results for rapid flow test in 20 mins
- Serveis Medic Penedes have clinics in Vilanova and Vilafranca. They offer a 24 hour service. Test taken 10.00 normally back by midnight. Result service is in English and delivery is electronic.
I plan on visiting in Summer 2021, will it be busy in Sitges? Is it Safe?
Since early Summer, life has been returning to a new normality. Bars and restaurants are open. Beaches are also open. Music Bars reopened on San Juan Weekend but have been forced to close from Friday July 9th for 15days.
Currently (Early July) Sitges is seeing a spike in transmission in younger groups, however Vaccination rates are high and hospitalisation rates are still low. However, the decision to travel also depends on your health status. If you are in an at-risk category, you need to carefully consider your options and encourage all visitors to vaccinate before traveling to our village. We suggest you book a hotel or apartment with a flexible cancellation policy.
The Hotel Calipolis offers great seafront rooms and a unique location in Sitges.
Are Sitges beaches open?
Beaches are currently open to the public. Social distancing is enforced and a distance of 2m should be maintained. Currently masks need to be work on the way to and from the beach, but NOT required while sunbathing.
Book a hotel room by the beach, The Hotel Calipolis offers amazing views!
Bears Week September Edition is set to go ahead, with some changes to be confirmed.
Events in Sitges for Summer 2021
NOTE: Many people are putting off their holiday until late August of September, however people are booking in advance and some hotels are already fully booked for key events. It also means that there are some great rates still available for June and July.
Currently. large gatherings are not permitted. The following events have been confirmed by the town council and will operate under reduced capacity restrictions to be determined closer to the start of each event:
- June 4th – 13th, Corpus Festival (Flower Carpets on the 6th)
- June 14th to July 1st – Sitges Gay Film Festival – Mostra de Cinema LGTBIQ+
- Sept 3rd to 11th – Bears Week, September Edition
Gay Pride Sitges may take place later in the Summer. Discussions are underway regarding an alternative program based on how the current situation progresses. We don’t anticipate any update to this until mid June.
Stay in the Hotel Subur in Central Sitges for Less!
The Hotel Subur is located in the heart of Sitges, right opposite the gay beach and offers great value for money, simple clean rooms and a great breakfast.