Sitges Travel Advisory
Gay Sitges Guide will bring you up to date information on Sitges as and when we receive it regarding the travel situation in Spain.
Authorities announced a new set of measures on December 20, all of which came into effect on December 24, at 12 am, following the High Court’s decision to greenlight a 1 am to 6 am curfew in larger municipalities with higher incidence rates as well as a 10-person limit on gatherings. This includes Sitges.
There are also new capacity limits, while health passes are still required for entry into certain establishments and nightclubs have been forced to shut.
Face masks, which only had to be worn by people 6 and older in indoor places open to the public as well as outdoor spaces when distances could not be kept, now must be worn at all times when outside anywhere across Spain.
Measures last updated December 26, 2021
Restrictions will be in place across Catalonia until at least January 7:
- Health passes. A Covid certificate demonstrating proof of vaccination, recovery from the virus, or a recent negative test is required to enter restaurants, gyms, care homes, or concert venues.
- People under the age of 13 do not need health passes to enter any of these establishments.
- Curfew. 1 am to 6 am in municipalities with over 10,000 inhabitants and a 7-day Covid-19 incidence rate of 250 or more per 100,000 residents.
- Face masks. Must be worn by everyone 6 and older in all indoor places open to the public and all outdoor areas.
- Gatherings. Only up to 10 people can meet up.
- Restaurants. Covid passes are required to enter. 50% capacity limits indoors but none for outdoor seating areas. Events in restaurants with dance floors cannot take place.
Traveling to Catalunya
- Requirements to enter Catalonia from abroad are determined by the Spanish government and all passengers arriving by air or by sea have to fill out a health control form before their departure.
- As of February 1, 2022, all travelers required to show a vaccination certificate will need to prove that they have received their last dose for at least 14 days and no more than 270 days since the date of administration of the last dose. From that moment on, the vaccination certificate must show the administration of a booster dose.
- Passengers coming from ‘risk’ areas within the European Union or European Economic Area need to show an EU Covid certificate upon arrival proving that a person has either been vaccinated against Covid-19, received a negative test result, or recovered from the virus.
- ‘Risk’ countries and regions are determined according to the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control’s weekly traffic-light map. The latest map, published on December 23, shows only one area in green, meaning that the vast majority of the EU/EEA is included in the Spanish health ministry’s list of ‘risk’ countries from Thursday, December 30 until Wednesday, January 5.
- Most countries outside the EU/EEA are deemed to be ‘risk’ areas. Passengers arriving from those countries have to show proof of vaccination.
- An exception had previously been made for the United Kingdom, with negative PCR tests also being accepted alongside vaccination certificates, but from December 1, individuals flying to Spain from the UK will only be allowed to enter the country if they are vaccinated against Covid-19.
- Countries and territories that are not considered at risk and are therefore exempt from the health-related entry requirements are Argentina, Australia, Bahrain, Canada, Chile, China, Colombia, Indonesia, Kuwait, New Zealand, Peru, Qatar, Rwanda, Saudi Arabia, South Korea, United Arab Emirates, Uruguay, Hong Kong, Macao, and Taiwan.
Where can I get a COVID test in Sitges?
- Polyclinic Sitges provides a covid test. Antigen Test, with appointment and results within 15min for 40€. You need to book early as slots go very fast at moment. PCR tests take longer and you need to book an early morning appointment.
- Synlab in nearby Castelldefels also offers a covid test.
- Echevarne Clinic in Castelldefels 5 mins from train station. No apt necessary. Results for rapid flow test in 20 mins
- Serveis Medic Penedes have clinics in Vilanova and Vilafranca. They offer a 24 hour service. Test taken 10.00 normally back by midnight. Result service is in English and delivery is electronic.
I plan on visiting in Summer 2022, will it be busy in Sitges? Is it Safe?
Even with the current surges and new variants, we expect to see a return to normality in Sitges for Summer 2022. Although there will probably still be restrictions on indoor venues, outdoor life in Sitges should continue as it has over the past two years. Bars and restaurants with terraces will operate as they have been over the past year.
The situation with Major events is still less clear, but we expect most to go ahead with some elements revised. As time progresses, we will update the event calendar with the relevant information, but we feel confident that you will enjoy Sitges in 2022!
However, the decision to travel also depends on your health status. If you are in an at-risk category, you need to carefully consider your options and get vaccinated and boosted before traveling to our village. We suggest you book a hotel or apartment with a flexible cancellation policy.
The Hotel Calipolis offers great seafront rooms and a unique location in Sitges.
Are Sitges beaches open?
Beaches are currently open to the public. Social distancing is enforced and a distance of 2m should be maintained. Currently masks need to be work on the way to and from the beach, but NOT required while sunbathing.
Book a hotel room by the beach, The Hotel Calipolis offers amazing views!
Bears Week September Edition is set to go ahead, with some changes to be confirmed.
Events in Sitges for Summer 2021
NOTE: Many people are putting off their holiday until late August of September, however people are booking in advance and some hotels are already fully booked for key events. It also means that there are some great rates still available for June and July.
Currently. large gatherings are not permitted. The following events have been confirmed by the town council and will operate under reduced capacity restrictions to be determined closer to the start of each event:
- June 4th – 13th, Corpus Festival (Flower Carpets on the 6th)
- June 14th to July 1st – Sitges Gay Film Festival – Mostra de Cinema LGTBIQ+
- Sept 3rd to 11th – Bears Week, September Edition
Gay Pride Sitges may take place later in the Summer. Discussions are underway regarding an alternative program based on how the current situation progresses. We don’t anticipate any update to this until mid June.
Stay in the Hotel Subur in Central Sitges for Less!
The Hotel Subur is located in the heart of Sitges, right opposite the gay beach and offers great value for money, simple clean rooms and a great breakfast.