Fireworks, Giants & Dragons!
Fiesta Mayor is when the town of Sitges hosts its annual festival in celebration of the patron saint, Sant Bartolomeu. The Fiesta Mayor includes music, dance and parades, including a spectacular firework display which can be seen from all over the town, or, if you are lucky enough to own a boat, from out at sea.
Here are the hotels we recommend that have good reviews and keep you close to all the action
Wednesday 21st August
- 18: 00 from the Parish of Sant Bartomeu and Santa Tecla , TRANSFER OF THE IMAGE OF SANT BARTOMEU, accompanied by the sound of the Suburband of El Retiro, it will be transferred to calle Floreal, 14,. The route will take you through the streets: Baluard, Ajuntament, C. Major, Cap de la Vila, Jesús, Francesc Gumà, Hort Gran, Pont sota la via, Av. de les Flors, Vidal i Barraquer, Floreal
- 22.00h La Fragata beach – Orchestra Maravella
Thursday 22nd August
- 21:30h. Delivery of the Flag Route: parade of the image, followed by the musical group “Agrupació Musical Suburband del Retiro” to the home of the President of the “Commissió”, Maica Díez-Alcón, on Santa Bárbara, 26.
Route: Baluard, plaça de l’Ajuntament, Major, Parellades, plaça del Pou Vedre, Santa Bàrbara.
Friday 23rd August - Fireworks Night!
- 12:00h. Arrival of the “Grallers” The different groups offer their inaugural concert in tribute to the founders of the Festa Major. Procession along the streets of Sant Francesc, Cap de la Vila, Major and Plaza Ayuntamiento.
- 14:00h. 21 muskets are fired By musicians of “cobles” of Sitges that have interpreted the sardana “La Procesó de Sant Bartomeu”, in commemoration of the centenary of its creation.
- 14:00 h. Sardanas At Cap de la Vila two emblematic Sitges sardanas are danced: The Procession of Sant Bartomeu by the maestro Antoni Català and Festa Major by Enric Morera, played by Cobla Sitgetana.
- 14:00h. Parade of Traditional Popular Dances Starting at Plaza Ayuntamiento: Gegants, Cabeçuts, Drac, Àliga, Diables, Bastons, Cercolets, Panderetes, Pastorets, Cintes, Gitanes and Moixiganga, accompanied by the musical group Suburband Retiro. At the Cap de la Vila, the Moixiganga will perform the complete dance.
- 18:00h. Castellers La Colla Jove de Castellers de Sitges. Location: Cap de la Vila.
- 19:00h. From the home of the president of the Comisión de Fiesta Mayor, Maica Díez-Alcón (Santa Bárbara, 26) The group of traditional dancers and musicians and the authorities, will recover the shrine of Sant Bartomeu from the place designated by the “pendonista” of the Festa Major 2019, Josep Carbonell Alquézar, and they will accompany it to the parish church.
Route: Santa Bàrbara, plaça del Pou Vedre, Espalter, Passeig Vilafranca, Av. de les Flors, Escoles Pies, Camí Capellans, Camí de la Fita, Pl. Doctor Pérez Rosales, Floreal, Av. Vidal i Barraquer, Pl. Hospital, Av. de les Flors, Creuament under the bridge, Hort Gran, Francesc Gumà, Jesús, Cap de la Vila, Major, Town Hall.
In front of the doors of the parish church, the popular dances receive the image of Sant Bartomeu which, accompanied by the authorities, the “Pendonista” and “Cordonistes” will be placed in the presbytery to preside over the liturgies of the festival.
- 23:00h. Fireworks By Pirotècnia Igual S.A. Passeig de la Ribera(in front of Pic-Nic Restaurant, on the sea side)During the pyrotechnic show, the fireworks may be viewed from a private seating area, where attendees will enjoy a tasting of a glass of cava Maria Casanovas Brut de Brut. Space is limited and it is advised to purchase tickets in advance from the Commission stand or at the Sitges Tourist Office. People with reduced mobility must also formalize their reservation in advance at the aforementioned points.
Saturday 24th August
- 19.30h From Baluard Sant Bartomeu’s ProcessionCircuit around town with the authorities, the Saint and the folkloric dances and musicians, accompanied by all the Sitgetanas and Sitgetans who wish it. The rector of the parish, Mn. Josep Pausas y Mas will preside over the processional act joined by the Illustrious Town Hall dignataries.
The popular dances, grallers and the Suburband del Retiro will precede the tabernacle. The tabernacle, with the image of the Saint, will be taken by the “Costaleros” of Sant Bartomeu and Santa Tecla. The Flag of Sant Bartomeu shall be carried by the pendonista Josep Carbonell Alquézar, who has named as Cordonistes: Roser Gallego Albet, Xavier Carbonell Pascual, Xavier Carbonell Alquézar and Josep Carbonell Gallego.
Route: Baluard, Fonollar, Sant Joan, Davallada, Barcelona, Santiago Rusiñol, Jesús, Sant Bartomeu, Sant Gaudenci, Sant Francesc, Cap de la Vila, Parellades, Bonaire, passeig de la Ribera, Nou, Major, plaza de Ayuntamiento and Baluard.
- When the Saint is being returned to the parish church, in the plaza del Baluard in front of the church all the fires and crackers are lit, the dances are carried out to their respective music and a small firework display takes place. It is, in all probability, one of the most emotional and awe inspiring moments of the fiesta.
- 22.30 – Approximately – LAST DANCE OF THE “BÈSTIES DE FOC” AND GEGANTS (Beasts of fire and giants)With the Saint restored to the parish church, the gegants, drac and àliga (papier-mâché giants, dragons and eagle) dance their farewell at Plaça de l’Ajuntament.
Fiesta Mayor – 2 Minutes of amazing video
The following is a trailer of a recent documentary featuring the “Agrupacio de balls populars de Sitges” the groups of dancers and musicians who keep the traditions of Siteges Fiesta Mayor alive
Recommended Hotels in Sitges
Most of the hotels in Sitges are in the centre of the Village. The best options are on the seafront offering beautiful views of the Mediterranean.
5 Star Luxury
Located a 10 minute taxi drive from the centre of town, this is the only 5 star hotel in Sitges and one of the best!
Hotel MiM, 4 Star
Stylish & Sophisticated
New, 4 star hotel in the heart of Sitges with beautiful rooms, a skybar with pool and stunning day spa for relaxing!
Hotel Medium, 3 Star
Great Pool & Location
The Hotel Medium is located in the heart of Sitges just seconds from the centre of town with a great pool.
Hotel ME, 4 Star
Deluxe & Luxury Option
The Hotel ME Terramar Sitges is one of the finest hotels in Sitges with its own beach club and large rooms.
Other Events in Sitges
Scroll along for other Sitges Events – Month by Month