Fireworks, Giants & Dragons!
Fiesta Mayor is when the town of Sitges hosts its annual festival in celebration of the patron saint, Sant Bartolomeu. The Fiesta Mayor includes music, dance and parades, including a spectacular firework display which can be seen from all over the town, or, if you are lucky enough to own a boat, from out at sea.
Tuesday 21st August
- 18: 00 from the Parish of Sant Bartomeu and Santa Tecla , TRANSFER OF THE IMAGE OF SANT BARTOMEU, accompanied by the sound of the Suburband of El Retiro, it will be transferred to 36 of Joan Maragall street. The route will take you through the streets: Baluard, plaça de l’Ajuntament, Major, Cap de la Vila, Jesús, Francesc Gumà.
- 19:30, on the Passeig de la Ribera, CONCERTO DE HABANERAS
Wednesday 22nd August
- 16:00h. Vestim els Gegants Moros (Let us dress the “Gegants Moros”) a chidren’s event in front of the Palau del Rei Moro.Event organized by the Agrupació de Balls Populars de Sitges.
- 21:30h. Delivery of the Flag with poems and singing of Sant Bartomeu “Goigs” (praises) by the “Amics de l’Orgue” chorus . This year, the author of the Poem of the Flag titled “Bon Viatge!” (Nice trip!) is the writing group “ Talleres de Texto” and the illustration that accompanies it is made by Iris Salamé.Route: Baluard, plaça de l’Ajuntament, Major, Parellades, plaça del Pou Vedre, Santa Bàrbara..
Thursday 23rd August - Fireworks Night!
- 10-14:00h & 18:00h onwards till the start of the Civic Procession, exhibition of the image of Sant Bartomeu. Location: Casino Prado Suburense
- 12:00h. Arrival of the “Grallers” The different groups offer their inaugural concert in tribute to the founders of the Festa Major. Procession along the streets of Sant Francesc, Cap de la Vila, Major and Plaza Ayuntamiento.
- 14:00h. 21 muskets are fired by By Colla Jove de Castellers de Sitges in commemoration of their 25th anniversary.
- 14:00 h. Sardanas At Cap de la Vila two emblematic Sitges sardanas are danced: The Procession of Sant Bartomeu by the maestro Antoni Català and Festa Major by Enric Morera, played by Cobla Sitgetana.
- 14:00h. Parade of Traditional Popular Dances Starting at Plaza Ayuntamiento: Gegants, Cabeçuts, Drac, Àliga, Diables, Bastons, Cercolets, Panderetes, Pastorets, Cintes, Gitanes and Moixiganga, accompanied by the musical group Suburband Retiro. At the Cap de la Vila, the Moixiganga will perform the complete dance.
- 18:00h. Castellers La Colla Jove de Castellers de Sitges. Location: Cap de la Vila.
- 19:00h. Civic Procession of the Flag (Processó de la Bandera) Cercavila (circuit around town with the authorities, the Saint and the folkloric dances and musicians), from Santa Bárbara, plaza del Pozo Vedre, Parellades, Cap de la Vila, Sant Francesc, Sant Gaudenci, Francesc Gumà, Jesús, Santiago Rusiñol, Barcelona, Davallada, carrer d’en Bosch, plaça del Ayuntamiento and Baluard.In front of the doors of the parish church, the popular dances receive the image of Sant Bartomeu who, accompanied by the authorities, and the “Pendonista” and “Cordonistes” will be placed in the presbytery to preside over the liturgies of the festival.
- 23:00h. Fireworks By Pirotècnia Igual S.A. and artistic design by Isidre Pañella. Honorary Citizen of Sitges. The thunderous closing of the firework display is partly possible due to the sponsorship of the Sitges villagers. Act organized with the participation of the Club Nàutic Sitges and the Port de Sitges – Aiguadolç.Location: From La Punta (Parish), La Fragata and the breakwaters “Castell de Foc en Calma”: chairs and a glass of “cava” on the Passeig (promenade) between restaurants Pic Nic and Kansas. Price 5€. Disabled persons free.The traditional dances carry out “The descent of the Stairs” at the Punta de Sitges Parade to El Greco Monument and back to Carrer Nou.
Friday 24th August
- 19.30h From Baluard Sant Bartomeu’s ProcessionCircuit around town with the authorities, the Saint and the folkloric dances and musicians, accompanied by all the Sitgetanas and Sitgetans who wish it. The rector of the parish, Mn. Josep Pausas y Mas will preside over the processional act joined by the Illustrious Town Hall dignataries.
The popular dances, grallers and the Suburband del Retiro will precede the tabernacle. The tabernacle, with the image of the Saint, will be taken by the “Costaleros” of Sant Bartomeu and Santa Tecla. The Flag of Sant Bartomeu shall be carried by the pendonista Tony Tudela Pérez, who has named as Cordonistes Vinyet Tudela Aledo, Gerard Ferrer Cuellar, Isaac Bielsa Tutusaus and Josep M. Marrades Puig.
Route: Baluard, Fonollar, Sant Joan, Davallada, Barcelona, Santiago Rusiñol, Jesús, Sant Bartomeu, Sant Gaudenci, Sant Francesc, Cap de la Vila, Parellades, Bonaire, passeig de la Ribera, Nou, Major, plaza de Ayuntamiento and Baluard.
- When the Saint is being returned to the parish church, in the plaza del Baluard in front of the church all the fires and crackers are lit, the dances are carried out to their respective music and a small firework display takes place. It is, in all probability, one of the most emotional and awe inspiring moments of the fiesta.
- 22.30 – Approximately – LAST DANCE OF THE “BÈSTIES DE FOC” AND GEGANTS (Beasts of fire and giants)
With the Saint restored to the parish church, the gegants, drac and àliga (papier-mâché giants, dragons and eagle) dance their farewell at Plaça de l’Ajuntament.
Fiesta Mayor – 2 Minutes of amazing video
The following is a trailer of a recent documentary featuring the “Agrupacio de balls populars de Sitges” the groups of dancers and musicians who keep the traditions of Siteges Fiesta Mayor alive
Apartments with Views of the Fireworks
The best way to see the fireworks during Fiesta Mayor is with a sea view apartment. These book up early – so check rates now!
Blue Attic Apartment
The stylish apartment is in “Playa San Sebastian” and offers the finest view on the 17th century Church and the sea, located on the third floor of a new and stylish building with elevator and air conditioning.
- Sleeps 2
- From EUR 58 p/p per night
The Sai I Apartment
A unique oceanfront location right next to the church, nice ocean views and a modern and comfortable design, in the heart of Sitges, right on the Paseo Maritimo, the most exclusive location in Sitges.
- Sleeps 4
- From EUR 94 p/p per night
The Ocean Blue 2 Apartment
The Ocean Blue 2 apartment has a unique and central oceanfront location right next to the church, a spacious balcony and a modern and comfortable design, with Wi-Fi Internet and satellite TV.
- Sleeps 6
- Free 44 EUR p/p per night
Other Events in Sitges
Scroll along for other Sitges Events – Month by Month