Fireworks, Giants & Dragons!
Fiesta Mayor is when the town of Sitges hosts its annual festival in celebration of the patron saint, Sant Bartolomeu. The Fiesta Mayor includes music, dance and parades, including a spectacular firework display which can be seen from all over the town, or, if you are lucky enough to own a boat, from out at sea.
Here are the hotels we recommend that have good reviews and keep you close to all the action
The program below is the traditional program of events for 2022:
- 21.00 from the Parish of Sant Bartomeu and Santa Tecla , TRANSFER OF THE IMAGE OF SANT BARTOMEU, taking the following route, Baluard, Town Hall, Major, Cap de la Vila, Sant Francesc, Passeig Vilafranca, Avinguda de les Flors, Pau Casals, 17
- 22.00h La Fragata beach – Concert by the Metropol Orchestra.
- 17.00. Dressing of the Giants at the Palace of the Moorish King in the old town on c/ D’en Bosch, 10-12.
- 21:30h. Delivery of the Flag Route: parade of the image, followed by the musical group Inxa Brass Band along the following route: Parròquia, plaça de l’Ajuntament, Davallada, Sant Sebastià, Ànimes, sota el pont de la via, Avinguda de les Flors, Carretera de les Costes, plaça Hospital (Creu Roja), Carbonell Vidal i Barraquer, Josep Tarradellas, escales fins a Pintor Marià Carbonellopis, 10.
23rd August - Fireworks Night!
- 12:00h. Arrival of the “Grallers” The different groups offer their inaugural concert in tribute to the founders of the Festa Major. Procession along the streets of San Francisco, Cabo de la Villa, Mayor and Plaza del Ayuntamiento.
- 14:00h. 21 muskets are fired By musicians of “cobles” of Sitges that have interpreted the sardana “La Procesó de Sant Bartomeu”, in commemoration of the centenary of its creation, followed by the dance of the devils, leaving from the town hall, along Calle Mayor until Cap de La Vila followed by the Moixiganga dance.
- 14:00 h. Sardanas At Cap de la Vila two emblematic Sitges sardanas are danced: The Procession of Sant Bartomeu by the maestro Antoni Català and Festa Major by Enric Morera, played by Cobla Sitgetana.
- 14:00h. Parade of Traditional Popular Dances
- 18:00h. Castellers La Colla Jove de Castellers de Sitges. Location: Cap de la Vila.
- 19:00h. From the home of the president of the Comisión de Fiesta Mayor, the procession makes its way through the following streets: Pintor Marià Carbonellopis, Torrent de la Pastera, Camí de la Fita, Sol, Avinguda de les Flors, Escoles Pies, Avinguda Camí Capellans, Pau Casals, Avinguda de les Flors, Passeig Vilafranca, Sant Francesc, Cap de la Vila, Major, plaça de l’Ajuntament, Baluard.
- 23:00h. Fireworks By Pirotècnia Igual S.A. Passeig de la Ribera(in front of Pic-Nic Restaurant, on the sea side)During the pyrotechnic show, the fireworks may be viewed from a private seating area, where attendees will enjoy a tasting of a glass of cava Maria Casanovas Brut de Brut. Space is limited and it is advised to purchase tickets in advance from the Commission stand or at the Sitges Tourist Office. People with reduced mobility must also formalize their reservation in advance at the aforementioned points.
- 19.30h From Baluard Sant Bartomeu’s Procession Circuit around town with the authorities, the Saint and the folkloric dances and musicians, accompanied by all the Sitgetanas. The route is as follows: Baluard, Fonollar, Sant Joan, Davallada, Barcelona, Santiago Rusiñol, Jesús, Sant Bartomeu, Sant Gaudenci, Sant Francesc, Cap de la Vila, Parellades, Bonaire, Passeig de la Ribera, Nou, Major, plaça de l’Ajuntament y Baluard..
- When the Saint is being returned to the parish church, in the plaza del Baluard in front of the church all the fires and crackers are lit, the dances are carried out to their respective music and a small firework display takes place. It is, in all probability, one of the most emotional and awe inspiring moments of the fiesta.
- 22.30 – Approximately – LAST DANCE OF THE “BÈSTIES DE FOC” AND GEGANTS (Beasts of fire and giants)With the Saint restored to the parish church, the gegants, drac and àliga (papier-mâché giants, dragons and eagle) dance their farewell at Plaça de l’Ajuntament.
Fiesta Mayor – 2 Minutes of amazing video
The following is a trailer of a recent documentary featuring the “Agrupacio de balls populars de Sitges” the groups of dancers and musicians who keep the traditions of Siteges Fiesta Mayor alive
Other Events in Sitges
Scroll along for other Sitges Events – Month by Month