Fireworks, Giants & Dragons!
Fiesta Mayor is when the town of Sitges hosts its annual festival in celebration of the patron saint, Sant Bartolomeu. The Fiesta Mayor includes music, dance and parades, including a spectacular firework display which can be seen from all over the town, or, if you are lucky enough to own a boat, from out at sea.
Friday 19th August
- 19:30h. Opening of “Les Barraques” at La Fragata followed by Concerts of Sense Sal and Roba Estesa
Event organized by Agrupació de Balls Populars de Sitges, l’Ateneu Popular, Colla Jove de Castells de Sitges, la SACA, el Casino Prado and la Societat Recreativa El Retiro with the support of the Comissió.
- 20:30h. Location: Sitges City Hall (Ajuntament), naming of Isidre Pañella i Virella as Honorary Citizen of Sitges.
- 22:30h. Festa Sonora at the Barraques area, with DJ’s Nighty Max (YALL), Pere del Campo and Victor Bregante.
Saturday 20th August
- 11:00h. Opening of the Exhibition “Exposició dels treballs sobre la Palmera Centenària” at the entrance of the City Hall.
Performed by students of the Sitges schools: Agnès de Sitges, Maria Ossó, Esteve Barrachina, Escola Pia & Miquel Utrillo. Animation organized by the Sitgetan company “La Tija”.
- 20:00h. La Fragata, Concerts.
Smoking Souls, Pepet i Marieta, Ebri Knight and Auxili. Event organized by colectivo Les Barraques.
- 22:00h. Location: Hort de Can Falç: “Cinema a la Fresca” (Outdoor cinema) with the screening of the film “Mama Mia sing along” with karaoke singing and dancing mythical Abba songs with the performance of the Carrousel del Prado.Ticket sales at the box office of Cine Prado and at La Botiga de la Bel. Price:5€Event organized by Cine Club Sitges with the assistence of the Carrusel del Prado
Sunday 21st August
- 12:00h Concert at la Fragata organized by Les Barraques: “MIGDIA ELECTRÒNIC” with Devise Project (Bruno Bleda, Carlos López and Albert Orsolini)
- 19:00h. “Pregó Satíric” opposite the Palau del Rei Moro (carrer d’en Bosch, 10). Opening speech by Anton Rafecas and inroducction of the Pubilla and Hereu of ABPS and recognition of the partner. Snack and glass of cavaEvent organized by Agrupació de Balls Populars de Sitges.
- 19:30h Concert at la Fragata Event organized by Les Barraques: Calzonpillos
- 20:30h. Location: La Fragata, “Sopar Popular” (Popular dinner). 12€ tickets sold in advance at El Retiro, El Prado, Palau del Rei Moro, Ateneu Sitges, stands of Festa Major by l’Agrupació de Balls Populars de Sitges, stand by the Colla Jove de Castellers de Sitges and at the “Barraques”. Event organized by Les Barraques.
- 20:00h Playa Sant Sebastià, “Habaneras” concert by “Els Pescadors de l’Escala”. The typical “rom cremat” will be offered.
- 22:30h Festa Major Street CryOn the Plaza Ayuntamiento, by Valentí Mongay i Castro
The street cry will be interpreted in Catalan Sign Language. In the case of rain or bad weather, the proclamation will take place in the parish church. A glass of Cava (Perbacco) and a taste of La Sitgetana will be offered.After the street cry, Concerts : Germà Negre i Xeic. Event organized by Les Barraques
Mon 22nd August
- 10:00h Location: Pau Benazet 8, home of Sant Bartomeu’s “Pendonista” Joan Yll Martínez, opening of the exhibition of the image of Sant Bartomeu, by Mn. Josep Pausas, priest of the parish. Exhibition open from 10h-14h and from 17h-21h
- 13:00h FESTA MAJOR VERMOUTH Location: Ateneu Popular de Sitges, street del Sol, number 2.Event organized by Ateneu Popular de Sitges.
- 16:00h. Vestim els Gegants Moros (Let us dress the “Gegants Moros”) a chidren’s event in front of the Palau del Rei Moro.Event organized by the Agrupació de Balls Populars de Sitges.
- 16:30h. “Anem a busca els Gegants de la Vila i els Gegants Americanos” (We dress the Gegants de la Vila and Gegants Americanos) a chidren’s event in front of the Escorxador.Then a parade until the City Hall (Ayuntamiento), through the streets Onze de Setembre, Port de n’Alegre, Davallada and d’en Bosch
- 17:30h Location: Plaça Ajuntament, Fiesta infantil de la Palmera (children’s Festival of La Palmera)The youngest citizens of Sitges will have the opportunity to participate in a symbolic event by watering the new palm tree. A time capsule will also be buried. With the participation of the theatrical group Les Veïness and the three pairs of Gegants de Sitges.
- 19:00h, Location: Sala Gótica del Museo Maricel: CONCIERTO DE FIESTA MAYOR by the Retrio band. Capacity: Limited to 100 people. Booking and tickets at the ticket offices of the Museums of Cau Ferrat and Maricel (Can Rocamora). Price: 12€ (enquire for discounts).Act organised by the Consorci del Patrimoni de Sitges.
- 20:30h. Delivery of the Flag
In the Parish of Sant Bartomeu and Santa Tecla, event with poems and singing of Sant Bartomeu “Goigs”. This year, the author of the Poem of the Flag is poet Dolors Reyes i Batlle.Followed by the musical group “Agrupació Musical Suburband del Retiro” parading to the home of the President of the “Commissió”, Cisco Arbonés.
Route: Baluard, Plaça de l’Ajuntament, Major, Cap de la Vila, Sant Francesc, Passeig Vilafranca, avinguda de les Flors, Sol, Camí de la Fita and Estalvi.
With the arrival of the Flag to Plaça Catalunya, NIT DE FESTA MAJORENCA, with a popular dinner with a cost of 5€. Tickets on sale at pastry shop Calderón, Ojeda hairdressers, Bio Natura health shop, carpenters Joan Yll and La Botiga de la Bel.The event will be livened up by the group El Hombre Tranquilo in concert.Event organized by the Comissió de Festes del Poble Sec and the Comissió de Festa Major.
20:30h. Rehearsal of the Colla Jove Castellers Sitges at the Palau del Rei Moro. Event open to all.
Event organized by the Colla Jove de Castellers de Sitges.
Tue 23rd August - Fireworks Night!
- 10-14:00h & 18:00h onwards till the start of the Civic Procession, exhibition of the image of Sant Bartomeu. Location: Pau Benazet, 8
- 12:00h. Arrival of the “Grallers” The different groups offer their inaugural concert in tribute to the founders of the Festa Major. Procession along the streets of Sant Francesc, Cap de la Vila, Major and Plaza Ayuntamiento.
- 14:00h. 21 muskets are fired by the “Colla de Diables de l’ABPS ” in commemoration of their 35th anniversary, and the parish church bells are rung. Location: Playa La Fragata
- 14:00 h. Sardanas At Cap de la Vila two emblematic Sitges sardanas are danced: The Procession of Sant Bartomeu by the maestro Antoni Català and Festa Major by Enric Morera, played by Cobla Sitgetana.
- 14:00h. Parade of Traditional Popular Dances Starting at Plaza Ayuntamiento: Gegants, Cabeçuts, Drac, Àliga, Diables, Bastons, Cercolets, Panderetes, Pastorets, Cintes, Gitanes and Moixiganga, accompanied by the musical group Suburband Retiro. At the Cap de la Vila, the Moixiganga will perform the complete dance. Arriving at Hort Can Falç and at the Hospital de Sant Joan Baptista, groups will perform the full dances and there will be speeches (Ball de diables, Ball de Cercolets, Ball de Gitanes and Ball de Pastorets).
- 18:00h. Castellers La Colla Jove de Castellers de Sitges. Location: Cap de la Vila.
- 19:00h. Civic Procession of the Flag (Processó de la Bandera) Cercavila (circuit around town with the authorities, the Saint and the folkloric dances and musicians), from Carrer Estalvi number 5, home of the President of Comissió de Festa Major, Cisco and Arbonés Heredia. The group of traditional dancers and musicians will recover the shrine of Sant Bartomeu from the home of pendonista of the Festa Major 2016, Joan Yll i Martínez.
Route: Estalvi, Cardenal Vidal i Barraquer, Verge Perpetu Socors, Camí de la Fita, Camí dels Capellans, Escoles Pies, Avinguda de les Flors, Passeig de Vilafranca, Passeig de Vilanova, Sant Josep, Espalter, Sant Francesc, Cap de la Vila, Major, Plaça de l’Ajuntament and Baluard.
In front of the doors of the parish church, the popular dances receive the image of Sant Bartomeu who, accompanied by the authorities, and the “Pendonista” and “Cordonistes” will be placed in the presbytery to preside over the liturgies of the festival.
- 23:00h. Fireworks By Pirotècnia Igual S.A. and artistic design by Isidre Pañella. Honorary Citizen of Sitges. The thunderous closing of the firework display is partly possible due to the sponsorship of the Sitges villagers. Act organized with the participation of the Club Nàutic Sitges and the Port de Sitges – Aiguadolç.
Location: From La Punta (Parish), La Fragata and the breakwaters “Castell de Foc en Calma”: chairs and a glass of “cava” on the Passeig (promenade) between restaurants Pic Nic and Kansas. Price 5€. Disabled persons free.
The traditional dances carry out “The descent of the Stairs” at the Punta de Sitges Parade to El Greco Monument and back to Carrer Nou. Followed by Sardanas and Festa Major Dance eve:Verbena Sardanista (Sardana’s eve) with La Cobla Maricel. Location: Cap de la Vila. Verbena de Festa Major with the performance of the DJ’s Lagarto and Fuck’n’Destroy (FuckSquad). Location: Passeig de la Ribera.
Wed 24th August
- 6:00h. Joyful and festive “matinal”
From Miquel Utrillo and Morlius Baluard, the “matinal” begins and the folkloric dances follow an itinerary through the streets of town while flowers are handed out to lady spectators by “la Comissió”. People can join in the “passada de faxes” (one must be dressed in white and wear “espardenyes de betes” (espadrilles with ribbons) and a “faixa” (waistband in the fashion of the castellers).
Route: Baluard, Fonollar, Baluard Vidal i Quadras, Port de n’Alegre, Rafel Llopart, Sant Damià, Sant Sebastià, Jesús, Sant Bartomeu, Sant Gaudenci, Sant Josep, Espalter, Plaça Pou Vedre, Bassa Rodona, Joan Tarrida, Plaça Indústria, Marquès de Montroig, Parellades, Cap de la Vila, Major i Ajuntament.
- 10:30h. Solemn mass in honour of Sant Bartomeu In the Parish Church of Sant Bartomeu and Santa Tecla Presided over by Father Josep Pausas, rector. A member of each popular group and traditional dance will make an offering to our patron in the name of all the town in celebration of our Festa Major having been awarded the title “Festa Patrimonial d’Interès Nacional” (Heritage Festival of National Interest).
- Apoteòsica Sortida d’Ofici (Exit from mass)
The band accompanies the authorities to the Town Hall and after all the dances and their musicians cover the small distance between the parish church and the town hall, the sardana Festa Major is played by La Cobla Sitgetana. The band will play Els Segadors, the national hymn of Catalonia. One of the most magical moments of the Festa Major. To follow: Castells performed by La Colla Jove de Castellers de Sitges. Location: Plaza Ayuntamiento
Following exit from mass, 40th FIESTA DE LA CALLE D’EN BOSCH (40th d’en Bosch street party). Open doors to the gardens of the Wall, home to Anna-Maria and Pere Stämpfli. In commemoration, la Sardana del Carrer d’En Bosch has been composed by maestro Jordi Pañella and lyrics by Josep Manuel Soler. It shall be interpreted by La Cobla Maricel and singer Josep Delgado. Act organized by Anna Maria and Pere Stämpfli, with the cooperation of the Comissió de Festa Major.
- Concert-Vermouth of the Festa Major
13:30h Location: In the gardens of the Sociedad Recreativa El Retiro with Tribéricus.
13:30h Location: In the gardens of the Casino Prado Suburense with a show “Arrans de terra, música i vi” interpreted by the la Cobla Maricel, with a wine tasting of Blanc Subur courtesy of the Cellar of the Hospital de Sant Joan Baptista.
- Sant Bartomeu’s Procession
Starting at the Baluard, the “cercavila” (circuit around town with the authorities, the Saint and the folkloric dances and musicians) ends with the Saint being returned to the parish church. As is custom, the shrine will be preceded by the traditional dances, the grallers, and the Agrupació Musical Suburband de El Retiro. Presidided over by Father Josep Pausas, with the presence of town hall dignataries and the Flag of Sant Bartomeu shall be carried by the pendonista Joan Yll Martínez and the cordonistas, his children Joan Yll i Barra and Carme Yll i Barra.
Route: Baluard, Fonollar, Racó de la Calma, Sant Joan, Davallada, Barcelona, Santiago Rusiol, Jesús, Sant Bartomeu, Sant Gaudenci, Sant Francesc, Cap de la Vila, Parellades, Bonaire, Passeig de la Ribera, Nou, Major, plaça de l’Ajuntament i Baluard.
As the procession advances along the Paseo de la Ribera, the town patron, La Cobla Sitgetana will interpret the sardanas Els Gegants de Sitges and La Processó de Sant Bartomeu, composed by Tomàs Gil i Membrado and Antoni Català i Vidal respectively.
- The Saint returns to the parish church When the Saint is being returned to the parish church, in the plaza del Baluard in front of the church all the fires and crackers are lit, the dances are carried out to their respective music and a small firework display takes place. It is, in all probability, one of the most emotional and awe inspiring moments of the fiesta.
- Last dance of the “Bèsties de foc” and “Gegants” With the Saint restored to the parish church, the gegants, drac and àliga (papier-mâché giants, dragons and eagle) dance their farewell at Plaça de l’Ajuntament.
- 00:30h Great Dance of Festa Major At the same time, on the Paseo de la Ribera, concert by Fede Guitar, the group Veneno en la Piel and the local DJ’s Rocking Beats (Dani Empa vs Víctor Bregante).
Fiesta Mayor – 2 Minutes of amazing video
The following is a trailer of a recent documentary featuring the “Agrupacio de balls populars de Sitges” the groups of dancers and musicians who keep the traditions of Siteges Fiesta Mayor alive
Fiesta Mayor Sitges Gallery
Check out our photo coverage of the events.
Apartments with Views of the Fireworks
The best way to see the fireworks during Fiesta Mayor is with a sea view apartment. These book up early – so check rates now!
Blue Attic Apartment
The stylish apartment is in “Playa San Sebastian” and offers the finest view on the 17th century Church and the sea, located on the third floor of a new and stylish building with elevator and air conditioning.
- Sleeps 2
- From EUR 58 p/p per night
The Sai I Apartment
A unique oceanfront location right next to the church, nice ocean views and a modern and comfortable design, in the heart of Sitges, right on the Paseo Maritimo, the most exclusive location in Sitges.
- Sleeps 4
- From EUR 94 p/p per night
Other Events in Sitges
Scroll along for other Sitges Events – Month by Month