Fireworks, Giants & Dragons!
Fiesta Mayor is when the town of Sitges hosts its annual festival in celebration of the patron saint, Sant Bartolomeu. The Fiesta Mayor includes music, dance and parades, including a spectacular firework display which can be seen from all over the town, or, if you are lucky enough to own a boat, from out at sea.
Monday 21st August
- 18: 00 from the Parish of Sant Bartomeu and Santa Tecla , TRANSFER OF THE IMAGE OF SANT BARTOMEU, accompanied by the sound of the Suburband of El Retiro, it will be transferred to 36 of Joan Maragall street. The route will take you through the streets: Baluard, Fonollar, Port de n’Alegre and Onze de Setembre. Inauguration of the exhibition of the image of Sant Bartomeu that will remain open until 21:00.
- 19.00 “Pregó Satíric” in front of the Palau del Rei Moro (carrer d’en Bosch, 10).
- 20:00 , on the Passeig de la Ribera, CONCERTO DE HABANERAS
- 22:00 a.m. In the square of the Town Hall, PREGÓN DE LA FIESTA MAYOR by the theater group sitgetà Les Veïnes followed by concerts in Fragata, in front of the church.
Tue 22nd August
- 10:00h Location: 36 of Joan Maragall , opening of the exhibition of the image of Sant Bartomeu, by Mn. Josep Pausas, priest of the parish. Exhibition open from 10:30 a.m. to 1 p.m., and from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m.
- 13:00h FESTA MAJOR VERMOUTH Location: Ateneu Popular de Sitges, street del Sol, number 2.Event organized by Ateneu Popular de Sitges.
- 16:00h. Vestim els Gegants Moros (Let us dress the “Gegants Moros”) a chidren’s event in front of the Palau del Rei Moro.Event organized by the Agrupació de Balls Populars de Sitges.
- 20:30h. Delivery of the FlagIn the Parish of Sant Bartomeu and Santa Tecla, event with poems and singing of Sant Bartomeu “Goigs”. This year, the author of the Poem of the Flag is is the work of Marc Hill i Gumà. .Followed by the musical group “Agrupació Musical Suburband del Retiro” parading to the home of the President of the “Commissió”, Cisco Arbonés.
Route: Baluard, Plaça de l’Ajuntament, Major, Cap de la Vila, Jesús, Francesc Gumà, Hort Gran, pont de sota la via, avinguda de les Flors, Sol, Camí de la Fita y Estalvi.
With the arrival of the Flag to Plaça Catalunya, NIT DE FESTA MAJORENCA, with a popular dinner with a cost of 5€. Tickets on sale at pastry shop Calderón, Ojeda hairdressers, Bio Natura health shop, carpenters Joan Yll and La Botiga de la Bel.The event will be livened up by the group El Hombre Tranquilo in concert.Event organized by the Comissió de Festes del Poble Sec and the Comissió de Festa Major.
Wed 23rd August - Fireworks Night!
- 10-14:00h & 18:00h onwards till the start of the Civic Procession, exhibition of the image of Sant Bartomeu. Location: 36 C Joan Maragall
- 12:00h. Arrival of the “Grallers” The different groups offer their inaugural concert in tribute to the founders of the Festa Major. Procession along the streets of Sant Francesc, Cap de la Vila, Major and Plaza Ayuntamiento.
- 14:00h. 21 muskets are fired by the “Colla de Diables de l’ABPS ” in commemoration of their 35th anniversary, and the parish church bells are rung. Location: Playa La Fragata
- 14:00 h. Sardanas At Cap de la Vila two emblematic Sitges sardanas are danced: The Procession of Sant Bartomeu by the maestro Antoni Català and Festa Major by Enric Morera, played by Cobla Sitgetana.
- 14:00h. Parade of Traditional Popular Dances Starting at Plaza Ayuntamiento: Gegants, Cabeçuts, Drac, Àliga, Diables, Bastons, Cercolets, Panderetes, Pastorets, Cintes, Gitanes and Moixiganga, accompanied by the musical group Suburband Retiro. At the Cap de la Vila, the Moixiganga will perform the complete dance. Arriving at Hort Can Falç and at the Hospital de Sant Joan Baptista, groups will perform the full dances and there will be speeches (Ball de diables, Ball de Cercolets, Ball de Gitanes and Ball de Pastorets).
- 18:00h. Castellers La Colla Jove de Castellers de Sitges. Location: Cap de la Vila.
- 19:00h. Civic Procession of the Flag (Processó de la Bandera) Cercavila (circuit around town with the authorities, the Saint and the folkloric dances and musicians), from Carrer Estalvi number 5, home of the President of Comissió de Festa Major, Cisco and Arbonés Heredia. The group of traditional dancers and musicians will recover the shrine of Sant Bartomeu from the home of pendonista of the Festa Major 2016, Joan Yll i Martínez.Route: Estalvi, Cardenal Vidal i Barraquer, Verge de la Llum, travessera Àngel Guimerà, Àngel Guimerà, carretera de les Costes, Aragó, Sant Honorat, Pompeu Fabra, Felip Massó, Mas i Font de Vila, Onze de Setembre, Port de n’Alegre, Fonollar i Baluard.
In front of the doors of the parish church, the popular dances receive the image of Sant Bartomeu who, accompanied by the authorities, and the “Pendonista” and “Cordonistes” will be placed in the presbytery to preside over the liturgies of the festival.
- 23:00h. Fireworks By Pirotècnia Igual S.A. and artistic design by Isidre Pañella. Honorary Citizen of Sitges. The thunderous closing of the firework display is partly possible due to the sponsorship of the Sitges villagers. Act organized with the participation of the Club Nàutic Sitges and the Port de Sitges – Aiguadolç.Location: From La Punta (Parish), La Fragata and the breakwaters “Castell de Foc en Calma”: chairs and a glass of “cava” on the Passeig (promenade) between restaurants Pic Nic and Kansas. Price 5€. Disabled persons free.
The traditional dances carry out “The descent of the Stairs” at the Punta de Sitges Parade to El Greco Monument and back to Carrer Nou. Followed by Sardanas and Festa Major Dance eve:Verbena Sardanista (Sardana’s eve) with La Cobla Maricel. Location: Cap de la Vila. Verbena de Festa Major with the performance of the DJ’s Lagarto and Fuck’n’Destroy (FuckSquad). Location: Passeig de la Ribera.
- Dancers in the Cap de la Vila with the Cobla Sitgetana
- Late night concert at Paseo de la Ribera, with the performance of DJ Lagarto and Kimberly & Clark, which will make us dance until 04:30 in the morning.
Thurs 24th August
- 6:00h. Joyful and festive “matinal” From Miquel Utrillo and Morlius Baluard, the “matinal” begins and the folkloric dances follow an itinerary through the streets of town while flowers are handed out to lady spectators by “la Comissió”. People can join in the “passada de faxes” (one must be dressed in white and wear “espardenyes de betes” (espadrilles with ribbons) and a “faixa” (waistband in the fashion of the castellers).
Route: Baluard, Fonollar, Baluard Vidal i Quadras, Port de n’Alegre, , Rafel Llopart, Sant Damià, Sant Sebastià, Jesús, Sant Bartomeu, Sant Gaudenci, Sant Josep, Espalter, Plaça Pou Vedre, Bassa Rodona, Joan Tarrida, Plaça Indústria, Marquès de Montroig, Parellades, Cap de la Vila, Major i Ajuntament.
- 10:30h. Solemn mass in honour of Sant Bartomeu In the Parish Church of Sant Bartomeu and Santa Tecla.
- Apoteòsica Sortida d’Ofici (Exit from mass) The band accompanies the authorities to the Town Hall and after all the dances and their musicians cover the small distance between the parish church and the town hall, the sardana Festa Major is played by La Cobla Sitgetana. The band will play Els Segadors, the national hymn of Catalonia. One of the most magical moments of the Festa Major. To follow: Castells performed by La Colla Jove de Castellers de Sitges. Location: Plaza Ayuntamiento
Following exit from mass, 40th FIESTA DE LA CALLE D’EN BOSCH (40th d’en Bosch street party). Open doors to the gardens of the Wall, home to Anna-Maria and Pere Stämpfli. In commemoration, la Sardana del Carrer d’En Bosch has been composed by maestro Jordi Pañella and lyrics by Josep Manuel Soler. It shall be interpreted by La Cobla Maricel and singer Josep Delgado. Act organized by Anna Maria and Pere Stämpfli, with the cooperation of the Comissió de Festa Major.
- Concert-Vermouth of the Festa Major 13:30h Location: In the gardens of the Sociedad Recreativa El Retiro with Tribéricus.
13:30h Location: In the gardens of the Casino Prado Suburense with a show “Arrans de terra, música i vi” interpreted by the la Cobla Maricel, with a wine tasting of Blanc Subur courtesy of the Cellar of the Hospital de Sant Joan Baptista.
- Sant Bartomeu’s Procession Starting at the Baluard, the “cercavila” (circuit around town with the authorities, the Saint and the folkloric dances and musicians) ends with the Saint being returned to the parish church. As is custom, the shrine will be preceded by the traditional dances, the grallers, and the Agrupació Musical Suburband de El Retiro. Presidided over by Father Josep Pausas, with the presence of town hall dignataries and the Flag of Sant Bartomeu shall be carried by the pendonista Joan Yll Martínez and the cordonistas, his children Joan Yll i Barra and Carme Yll i Barra.
Route: Baluard, Fonollar, Sant Joan, Davallada, Barcelona, Santiago Rusiñol, Jesús, Sant Bartomeu, Sant Gaudenci, Sant Francesc, Cap de la Vila, Parellades, Bonaire, passeig de la Ribera, Nou, Major, Plaça de l’Ajuntament y Baluard.
As the procession advances along the Paseo de la Ribera, the town patron, La Cobla Sitgetana will interpret the sardanas Els Gegants de Sitges and La Processó de Sant Bartomeu, composed by Tomàs Gil i Membrado and Antoni Català i Vidal respectively.
- The Saint returns to the parish church When the Saint is being returned to the parish church, in the plaza del Baluard in front of the church all the fires and crackers are lit, the dances are carried out to their respective music and a small firework display takes place. It is, in all probability, one of the most emotional and awe inspiring moments of the fiesta.
- Last dance of the “Bèsties de foc” and “Gegants” With the Saint restored to the parish church, the gegants, drac and àliga (papier-mâché giants, dragons and eagle) dance their farewell at Plaça de l’Ajuntament.
- 23:30h Great Dance of Festa Major On the Paseo de la Ribera, BIG PARTY DANCE with Jukebox (Fede Guitar & Marc Vaccaro), the musical group Kuéntame Como Sonó and DJ Dani Empa.
Fiesta Mayor – 2 Minutes of amazing video
The following is a trailer of a recent documentary featuring the “Agrupacio de balls populars de Sitges” the groups of dancers and musicians who keep the traditions of Siteges Fiesta Mayor alive
Fiesta Mayor Sitges Gallery
Check out our photo coverage of the events.
Apartments with Views of the Fireworks
The best way to see the fireworks during Fiesta Mayor is with a sea view apartment. These book up early – so check rates now!
Blue Attic Apartment
The stylish apartment is in “Playa San Sebastian” and offers the finest view on the 17th century Church and the sea, located on the third floor of a new and stylish building with elevator and air conditioning.
- Sleeps 2
- From EUR 58 p/p per night
The Sai I Apartment
A unique oceanfront location right next to the church, nice ocean views and a modern and comfortable design, in the heart of Sitges, right on the Paseo Maritimo, the most exclusive location in Sitges.
- Sleeps 4
- From EUR 94 p/p per night
Other Events in Sitges
Scroll along for other Sitges Events – Month by Month